Tuesday 19 March 2013

Finding, Finding, Finding.... Finding.

This week has been lots and lots and lots of finding people to teach. We still haven't had one return appointment yet and so we just go out all day and find people. Not going to lie finding used to give me legit anxiety. I remember when I first got out on the mission about 100 excuses would flash through my head for why we couldn't go out and knock doors. The first day we went out to knock some potentials and such I actually got so nervous I cried! And then I was glad about it because Sister Sant talked me down from the ledge and it took up all the time we had to knock. I'm pathetic. I know. BUT I actually enjoy it now, for the most part. Everything that used to scare me doesn't anymore. Sure it can be way awkward stalking people down as they get out of their car, or knocking on doors with no soliciting signs, but I always think to myself this person could be my next miracle! This person could really need the message we have to share. I've never been more tired my whole mission though. It has amazing to rely 100% on the Holy Ghost. Sister Morris and I don't know the area, we don't know the members, we don't know the non-members. So we go out everyday with a prayer in our heart hoping to find those that are prepared to hear the message we have to share.
 
I'll just share one of the many miracles we have seen this week. It was Wednesday and we didn't have a car, so we had to walk to our area... it's not far from the VC so I won't let myself get dramatic about it. We walk outside and it is a breezy spring time day. Perfect weather. About 70 degrees with a slight breeze. We go out into our area and talk to some people, have some great conversations, have some not so great conversations. We work for about a solid 3 hours and I am exhausted. Straight up tuckered out. This lady walks out onto her porch and of course what goes through my mind is "oh she's busy, oh I'm tired, oh it's about time to go back" but luckily I fought through all of that and walked straight up to her porch. We made the awkward small talk and she invited us up. Turns out she had met with missionaries before, she wasn't interested but was open to talking. So we talked about her life. We talked about her kids, she opened up to us about a lot of really personal things. So we shared some scriptures with her from the Book of Mormon. Sister Morris shared a scripture that she found in her studies that morning and that we felt like we should share with someone that day. She LOVED it. We were then able to teach her more about the Book of Mormon-- somehow the other missionaries failed to mention that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ, about his dealings with the people in the Americas. She was so grateful we stopped because that evening was the only evening she had had in a long while, and would have in a long while, that she would have time to think and ponder and feel settled about where she was at in life. We met her that very night... the only night we could have possibly met her and really the only moment. That meeting on that porch was probably one of the sweetest experiences I have had on my mission. We were able to bear testimony of the gospel and of God's love for her, we were able to share with her just some of the pain she was feeling, but also the joy that Jesus Christ brings to our lives. I was so grateful for the courage that I had built up to talk to everyone. I'm so grateful to be a representative of Jesus Christ, and to help those that need it. To share with them a message of peace, and joy, and love. Sister Morris and I walked home happy as can be. It was a great day.
 
Rick was baptized this week! It was amazing! The spirit was so strong, despite many things going wrong before the baptism. Once it got started it turned out perfectly. I am so grateful to have been able to teach both him and Joyce. He is so deeply converted to the restored gospel. When he came out after his baptism he said "I've been baptized twice before and I hadn't felt the Spirit, not like that. I knew this church was true before but that confirmed it... even though the water was freezing!" Rick's daughter lives in 1st Ward, and we are going to meet her on Wednesday! I am so excited. I know that Heavenly Father has big plans for this family.  I can't even believe that so much has come from knocking on that one door in November. I have found such great joy in just teaching Joyce, and then teaching Rick, and now his daughters want to learn more. It is such a blessing! Heavenly Father really does lead us to those that are prepared.

No comments: