Tuesday 26 February 2013

Snow Day!


Okay. Let's talk about weather. Missouri is the strangest place in the world. Last Thursday we had this freak snowstorm. We woke up at 6:30 AM.-No snow on the ground.  By 8:30 we had about 4 inches. By the end of the day we got about 10 inches. Not only that but we had thunder snow! Thunder and lightning and snow. What the heck?! It was the best. Seriously. We went and shoveled people's walks and driveways, which I had never done. Today we got another 8 inches and we are grounded again! This morning for exercises we made a slide down our back steps-- which are about 12-15 feet high. Man... I love snow days. And today is our p-day so I don't even have to feel bad for not being in our area. For whatever reason I love the snow now. I swear I got seasonal depression in Utah, but I act like a seven year old with these big storms. The only downside is that we had to postpone Bobbie's baptism, so that will be happening this week instead of last week.

Keeping it classy while shoveling it up!
 Rick is getting baptized! It is such a miracle! I am so amazed by the power of the Book of Mormon. We have taught him 3 times and he is fully committed, because he has been listening to the Book of Mormon daily! The man practically converted himself. I think that is how it usually goes though.  I, as a missionary, don't have a whole lot to do with it. We teach and testify and invite. The people we teach have the choice to act on our invitations.  If they do, they will receive answers to their prayers and they will come to know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is truly the church of Jesus Christ. I love how simply it works and I am so grateful for the miracle of being able to be part of it. Anyway-- Rick is so happy about it his decision to be baptized and can't wait. Joyce is really excited too because she sees a huge difference in his life. He has a purpose now, he has direction, and he is happier. It is so neat that they will be able to progress together. 

In other news, living at the Willis House is a dream... other than the fact that we have mice, again! We all freaked out when our little furry friend joined our yoga during our morning exercises. We deep cleaned and set some traps-- and then he ate all the peanut butter off of the traps! So we knew we needed to bring out the big guns. Sister Hyer bought a Tri-kill mousetrap and overnight we caught our first rodent... it was sick. I still feel really guilty about killing it because we read The Mouse and the Motorcycle in my 2nd grade class last year. 

Our mission is splitting! Crazy! In July we will split into the Missouri Independence Mission and the Wichita Kansas Mission. Crazy! So I don't know how that will all work, hopefully I'll get to stay here. It will be weird for some of my fellow missionaries to be moved to another mission, but I am super excited. Also there is now an Irvine California Mission! So that is exciting. 

Visitor's Center Missionaries having a "Dress like an Elder Day"
Also, the best news I got today was that my little sis, Maryn, got into BYU! Wahooo! I'm glad we will have another cougar in the family. Let's hope her dorm room has space for a blow up mattress.

No comments: