Wednesday 20 February 2013

I Love Love.



Valentines day was great! Well, it really wasn't anything to write home about, but here I am writing home about it. Anyway we ate a lot of treats, no one should ever let me loose on a box of Lofthouse Cookies. I can't contain myself.

The real reason this week has been great is because I have been thinking lots about love. Love! It is the best thing in the world. I have been thinking about it a lot because the ability to love is something I am constantly striving to develop, as a missionary. We are meeting all sorts of people, with all sorts of personalities. Not to mention the fact that I am with a companion literally 24/7 who has different habits and ideas. It doesn't even matter if you get along really well, there will always be little quirks and things that don't jive. So that being said love is a very important trait to develop as a missionary. My dear friend Marin sent me this scripture in a valentine and it was a much needed reminder.

"And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things."- Moroni 7:45.

What I wouldn't give to have all of these attributes, but boy is it a work in progress. I think as a missionary I have grown a lot in love. It has always been easy for me to love lots of people, but I think that's because for the most part I get along with people. I like them, and they like me. As a missionary people don't always like us... it comes with the black badge that we wear and who we represent. I've been learning how to develop love in the face of rejection and in the face of disappointment. It has always been one of my mottos that it never hurts to be too nice. It's true. Anyway. Now I am rambling. I'm really enjoying having the opportunity to grow and develop that Christlike love in my life-- so this is probably one of the most successful Valentines Days I have ever had.

This week we started teaching Joyce's brother, Rick. He is blind, and absolutely hilarious. We got him some Book of Mormon cds so that he could listen to the Book of Mormon and brought it over. As we were introducing it to him Sister Ewell invited him to be baptized and he said yes... when he finds out it is true! He is really seeking for the truth and wants that peace in his life. He has been studying and listening to the bible for years and it has been fun to teach him. I've been able to get into the bible a lot more than usual and bust out all the good stuff I learned in Jerusalem. Joyce and Rick are hilarious together and fight like pre-teen siblings. It is perfect though because she is there and learning but also answering his questions.

Bobbie is getting baptized on Friday! That will be fun! I'll have more on that next week.  In other news I am still loving the new hair. Thank you for all the compliments, it gave a me a needed boost in ego. There are still some nights after post-pony tail days where I look like a 90's mom, and I think, what did I do?! But for the most part I am loving it. 

No comments: