Monday 20 January 2014

here's the week:

Over a year ago, in Independence, I bought the coolest journal. You write a line a day everyday for 5 years. On each day you can look back and see exactly what you were doing a year ago. So a year ago Joyce quit smoking and committed to be baptized-- It's been great to look back on all the DAILY miracles that I have witnessed in the past year of my life as a missionary. This week was no exception. No one exceptional thing really happened, but lots of little things. So I'll write about it-- a week in the life of Sister Call.
 
Monday: Maryn put in her mission papers! Whoohoo!!! I don't want to wait another week to find out, but hey, that's life as a missionary. When I left on my mission I never would have thought that my sister would get a mission call while I was on a mission. I'll get to live vicariously through her. 

Tuesday: We did lots of service-- packed a kitchen for a family that was moving, painted a kitchen for one of our investigators... all the while I got to wear my sweats! Yes! We went out with Sister Quinnelly, one of my favorite members in the ward. Do you know what a difference members make? A lot. It is so powerful. I can't wait to go on team ups with the missionaries as a member. 

Wednesday: We had an awesome district meeting. I love meetings. There is so much power in gathering together and learning from one another, as missionaries, or anyone else for that matter. I love feeling the spirit and knowing that I need to change and be better. Good meetings really foster a desire for growth and change. Then, we had the Barnums come to mutual! We took Sister Barnum to institute while her boys were at the activity. We read Mosiah 27 and both learned a lot as we studied it. I love receiving revelation from the Book of Mormon.

Thursday: We had a breakthrough with some of our favorite people in Clinton, Kathy and Paul. They are best friends with two families in the ward and they have taken us in. Kathy really opened up and I was like, "Kathy, I'm going home in a few weeks, and you are moving. I want to teach you the first lesson before I go."-- she agreed and we set up dinner and an appointment. Boom. I'm so excited. I love them and I can't wait to share my testimony of the restored gospel with them.

Friday: We went to the Independence VC with the Scott family! They have all these girls-- ages 15 to 1. It was so fun. It made me a little homesick for that chapter of my mission. I loved serving at the VC and having all those wonderful resources and a dedicated building to teach people in. It was an awesome trip. It's the closest thing we can have to a missionary sanctioned vacation-- spirit filled and super fun. You better bet I'll be going to the LA Visitors' Center when I get home. 

Saturday: We went out to Blairstown to contact a less active family. It is the teeniest, tiniest little town I have ever seen. Less than 5 streets, half the houses were boarded up or falling apart. I didn't even feel like we should tract there-- super sketch. The one door we knock on we meet this girl whose mom is a member of the church. Not a coincidence. Although, that little town is probably the reason why I had a dream about a zombie apocalypse that night. Not fun. But the rest of the day was filled with the beautiful Missouri country skyline, puppies, and a visit with another one of our favorite people, Brenda. She just needs to have us come teach her!

Sunday: No one came to church. That is the most disappointing thing as a missionary. We send wake up texts, reminders, save them seats... and they don't come, even when they say they will. I got a little bummed, but during our studies that evening I found a scripture that said just what I needed to hear and it gave me a pump up. I'm so grateful for the scriptures and personal revelation. I'm so grateful for a Heavenly Father that answers my prayers the minute that I get discouraged. How does he do that?! 

Alma 17: 10 And it came to pass that the Lord did avisit them with his bSpirit, and said unto them: Be ccomforted. And they were comforted.
 11 And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth among the Lamanites, thy brethren, and establish my word; yet ye shall be apatient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good bexamples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls.

I'm so grateful for all the mini miracles this week. It is amazing to see the hand of the Lord, the small bursts of revelation. Day after day we are led to where we need to go. I receive revelation and inspiration for the people we are teaching, and for who I personally need to become. I am so grateful for that. I am so grateful to be a missionary.  
I have just over 3 weeks left to serve and I fly home February 7th.  I can't believe it.

No comments: