Monday 12 August 2013

soul-burstin'

Wow. What a week. I feel like a lot happened but nothing happened all at the same time. I feel like I learned a lot this week... a lot of pondering and reflection, which was well needed.

This week I went to my first Mission Leadership Council! It felt like the good ol' boys club with all the zone leaders, AP's. There are only four sisters that attend. It was a spiritual feast/fiesta. We ate a lot of yummy food, but more importantly learned a lot from President Keyes and the assistants. They talked a lot about getting back to the basics and nourishing the soul. I've been feeling mildly strapped lately with everything that I have on my plate and it was a well needed training. Probably the greatest thing that I learned this week was how to watch my thoughts. President Keyes gave a training on how to nourish the soul and most of the counsel was comprised of the very important basics-- scripture study, prayer, etc... but then at the end he had to throw in watching our thoughts. Obviously important, but very difficult to execute. So as I am sitting there wondering how in the world to make that happen he says, "now you may be wondering how to do that"... just don't think about those thoughts. Don't think about the fact that you are thinking about them... because then you will still be thinking about them! Just replace them and move on. So I did that this week and it worked! 23 years of failed attempts at that and there is the answer. Hopefully everyone else reading this has learned that lesson already but in case some of you are as dense as I am there you are! That's the ticket.
Melba came to church on Sunday and loved it. We introduced her to the Elders in the other ward in the hallway at church. She told them that it was her second Sunday at church and that she would be there every week and no one could stop her from coming and that she would be baptized on the 31st. When she walked down the hall the Elders were like "man, Sisters are so much more blessed than we are... it's not fair."... maybe true... sorry I'm not sorry. I do feel very, very grateful though and the dry spell in Blue Springs has made me even more grateful for these new friends.

Sometimes I feel like my soul is going to burst while I am here. I have too many feelings! And those that know me well know I was quite fond of feelings before. It is amazing to feel real Christ-like love and charity for people. People that are so vastly different than me-- in education, in personality, in likes, in dislikes... but I love them because I serve them. Life is beyond good. 

This is how I feel! 

"Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.
Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people, who are a branch of the tree of Israel, and has been lost from its body in a strange land; yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land."

No comments: