Thursday 29 November 2012

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

 

 Decorating the Mission Home Christmas tree

 My handmade ornament ;)
 
 with Sister Keyes, the Mission President's wife
 
I know... my blog titles are getting cheesy.  This is why I used to title my blogs Week # ____.... sooo at least I'm trying a little harder with this one. This week has been SO wonderful. We have been so blessed! Seriously. I don't even know how I can keep up with all the blessings we are recieving right now. I swear it's because of the Christmas season. I love Christmas!

Miracle #1: We had contacted this lady named Joyce about a week or two ago and decided to try back with her. I kept thinking of her apartment because I had sworn I saw some kids run inside once... we have been really wanting to teach a family so we always try to talk to people with kids. So turns out she doesn't have kids in the house, but she let us in (it is so nice to actually be let in!) and we had a good long conversation with her. We found out she loves geneology! She's been doing it for years and really feels connected to her ancestors. She is really interested in the afterlife and has had a lot of ideas that really coincide with the Plan of Salvation. We have an appointment with her today at the visitor center and we are really excited! We have really been praying to find people who will progress and that we can teach, and we found her!

Miracle #2: This morning during personal study we got a phone call from this man that we have kind of been working with. He has been really busy and doesn't have a car and is often working on Sunday, so we have taught him a few principles over the phone a few times. He randomly called us this morning and I answered. He asked "who is this?" and I said "Sister Call" and he said "Oh, I didn't even know I had you programmed into my phone. This is a miracle and a sign from God! You weren't even programmed into my phone! I want a ride to church on Sunday."  Turns out he quit his job this morning and kind of hit rock bottom. He thought he was calling his mom, but instead he called us.  We are teaching him tomorrow, and of course I am excited about it!  I know that he really needs the restored gospel in his life right now.

Miracle #3: The sisters in the 3rd ward gave us a referral to this really great new investigator. She had moved into our boundaries. I am so excited to teach her, we haven't actually met with her yet, but we will this week.  I feel so blessed to have so many people to teach and to work with. I hope that we can keep up with it all! 

One thing that has really stood out to me this week is that the gospel of Jesus Christ can help EVERYONE. It doesn't matter what your background is or what problems you may have. There is always an element of the restored gospel that can help you. For Joyce it will probably be the Plan of Salvation, for David most likely the redeeming and enabling power of the atonement, but for everyone it is something related to our Savior Jesus Christ. He truely is the head of this great church and all aspects of any doctrine we teach tie back to Him. I love this quote from Preach My Gospel: "As we rely on the Atonement of Jesus Christ, He can help us endure our trials, sicknesses, and pain. We can be filled with joy, peace, and consolation. All that is unfair abour life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ." Everyone in life has some sort of burden, some sort of something that they are struggling with, but everything can be made right through the Atonement. I have certainly felt that on my mission. I still have a lot of the same challenges of health that I did before, but as I focus on following my Savior, on relying on Him, on loving and serving others, that burden seems small. I am able to go throughout the day and find the strength that I need when I need it. Often He doesn't remove the trial but he gives us the tools to endure and remain positive and happy.  I am so grateful to have a knowledge and a testimony of the reality of a living and loving Savior. I know that the power of the atonement is real. That is the only thing powerful enough to shape and change a person's very nature. I am grateful that God is in the details of our life!

 Decorating our apartment with my cutie housemates!

























Congrats to Abbie on finishing her mission!!!!! Whoohoo! You are such an example to me and I can't wait to write you and see you in a year and a little bit!

No comments: